StatCounter

Sunday, September 17, 2017

Wounded Old and Treacherous



Nothing like an annoying long term injury to make a person feel old. Pushing 60 doesn't help either. I didn't feel old until that nasty leg infection laid me up for months. The injury, plus the lack of activity, really laid me low.

After a couple days of hard labor working around the house, I was done in. You know it's bad when you shake out two Ibuprofen. One falls on the ground so I take the first and wait for it to kick in before trying to bend down to pick up the second. I had to laugh at myself.

While I can't anything about the calendar, I can get in better condition. That's more important than ever right now. Some people age gracefully. Some just get more ornery. A friend's grandfather, a miserable old cuss pushing 80, used to get into bar fights. He'd kick the tar out of some cocky young guy. My friend and his dad would go down to the jail to bail the old guy out. He knew no one would ever press charges. What young guy wants to admit he got his backside handed to him by an old man?



I don't want to be a miserable old cuss, but I don't want to be a push over either. There are too many adventures to be had yet.

-Sixbears

6 comments:

  1. By all means get back in shape if you can. I'm so far over the hill physically that there's little I can do to better myself. That's frustrating in more ways than one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even small improvements can make a big difference in quality of life. Don't give there Gorges.

      Delete
  2. I feel ya man.
    As much physical abuse as I put myself through over the years, it's a miracle I am alive, let alone walking around. I went and helped some friends move today after 5 hours sleep.
    I wasn't home twenty minutes and I was out like a light and of course now my lower back is killing me.
    However, I am one of those crusty old guys who get ornerier the older they get and I am enjoying the hell out of it too so there is that.
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of my friends liken me to Maxine. In my 70's I don't really give a damn what people expect of me. I plan to start walking every day possible to get into better shape and am trying hard not to let age take me down. Getting old(er) isn't for sissies! Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete