StatCounter

Thursday, June 1, 2017

Computer Rescue



My lovely wife's computer died. She hasn't complained and claims to be satisfied using my little computer to check Facebook. I've found that domestic harmony is improved when we both of us have access to our own computers.

Having just written a bunch of checks to pay medical bills, new computers are not in the budget. Serves me right for squandering money on necessary health treatments.

I do have an older laptop that I've been working to bring back to life. It's time consuming, but I've more time than money right now. Progress is being made. I've been working on installing a stable operating system that will run well on the older machine. To that end a lot of different Linux distributions have been tested. I think I'm getting near to the end. In fact, I'm feeling good enough about it to sit back and relax with a wee dram of Laphroaig single malt whisky.

Once that computer is sorted out I'm going to see how many more files can be salvaged from my lovely wife's old machine. Before the last hard crash some were uploaded to the cloud. In the past I've been hesitant to upload files to cloud storage, but after losing a couple of computers in various ways, having off-site storage is a good thing. Also a big fan of flash drives, as they've proven durable enough to survive being submerged in the sea for two days. The salt has to soaked out of them first, but after they are rinsed and dried, they work.

To me, computers are just tools. The cheapest ones that will do what I need to do are fine. Electronics lose their value so quickly it's not worth spending big money. If you have a job that requires the newest and fastest, then fine. Otherwise, it's a waste of money.

-Sixbears

6 comments:

  1. Mmmmm....Laphroaig. Good luck with the computer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally I like the bite of a good speyside, but I'm open other single malts.

      Delete
  2. I can ship you a free computer with Windows-user-friendly version of Linux on if you'd like. I'm assuming that your wife's computer monitor is still working?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you but we are now set. Got the machine sorted out. Really nice of you.

      Delete
  3. I use the cloud for all my files, mainly because I work on different machines but it's a fine backup system too.

    I see lots of computers with monitors , mouse and keyboard running Windows 7 at our humane society thrift store. They usually run about 20 bucks all told, and are good enough for the internet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I have one computer for each of us going, I'd like tackle fixing her old laptop. Since the files are all backed up now, I feel there's nothing to lose by trying.

      Delete