StatCounter

Monday, June 19, 2017

Bear Shenanigans



The cover of my sand barrel had been removed in the night. My first thought was that the bears were back. The only thing that gave me pause is that they normally just knock the whole barrel over, thinking it's a trash can. Since just the cover was removed, I had to consider the possibility it was the large raccoon that's been hanging around.

Later that day I found evidence that it really was bears. A 5 gallon jug that I use to move diesel fuel had been removed from next to the house. The whole spout assembly had been ripped off. Bears, no doubt. I keep jugs of waste veggie oil to run in my van converted to run waste veggie. Bears have gotten hold of my veggie jugs before. In the past I sometimes left them in the sun to warm up so they pour easier. Bears have been known to snag the jugs and haul them off in the woods. The diesel jug was similar to my veggie jugs

Last year they scratched up the door to my basement, where the veggie oil is kept. Bears are one of the main reasons I keep a loaded gun handy. A friend of mine is doing all he can to keep them away from his chickens. He's even surrounded the chicken pen with electrified wire.

I hope it's a good berry and nut year so hungry bears can find the food they need in the woods.

-Sixbears

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yeah, that's the problem. I live where they live. We will have to learn to get along.

      Delete
  2. TO BAD YOU ARE NOT INTO GRILLED BEAR AND BEAR RUGS

    WILDFLOWER

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luckily I don't have to contend with bears....just squirrels that want to eat my porch railings.

    ReplyDelete