StatCounter

Friday, August 7, 2015

Moving fast



I may have missed out on a great sailboat deal. Usually my lovely wife and I quickly come to a decision and act on it. Unfortunately, the sailboat was a good 3 hours away and we were not free until the next day. The boat was being shown to someone else as we could not make it that night. If that deal falls through I'm still ready to move on it. Another sailboat wasn't really in my budget, but the price was good enough that it would have been worth cutting something else out.

Usually I'm the one to snatch up good deals. When I go somewhere to look at something it's with cash in hand and with the means to haul the purchase away. Some people like to look at something a few times before deciding to buy it. If I'm going to look at something, I'm usually serious about buying. Shopping is not a recreational sport for me. Buy and then go, that's the way to do it.

Then there's the boat I did not make an offer on. This one was bigger, in great shape, and only an hour away. Unfortunately, while the money could have been scraped together, it really wasn't in the budget. This is the boat we want 4 or 5 years from now. Yeah, we have a general plan. That's how we can move so fast. If something comes up at an amazing price that fits the plan, we are mentally prepared to take advantage.

Of course our plans can and do change. Life has a way of doing that. However, since we set goals and take action towards them, we stand a much better chance of getting what we want.

-Sixbears

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, but it looks like I missed out on the deal as the seller hasn't gotten back to me. Oh well, there will be others.

      Delete
  2. At least you have a plan, sounds like short- and long-term. That's more than most, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the old quote goes something like "the best laid plans of mice and men..."and so on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait until fall or early winter and maybe you can find a great yacht you can live aboard for a very low price. A lot of people think too big and jump into something they can't handle and now they want out. You did it right. You started small and learned all the ropes, or should I say lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are new listings coming up all the time. It's said if you really want to learn how to sail, learn on a small boat.

      Delete