StatCounter

Monday, June 29, 2015

The well armed liberal



They exist you know. Just because someone might generally be considered “liberal” or “conservative” doesn't mean they follow the party line.

I've seen out here in the country. A city liberal moves out to the country to get close to nature. They really get into it -organic garden, chickens, the whole country thing. Of course guns are terrible and nobody should have guns.

Then something eats all the veggies out their garden. A fox gets into the hen house. They surprise a bear digging though their trash -on their enclosed porch. Before you know it they are sniping groundhogs with a scoped high power rifle at 100 meters. The gun goes from being an abstract engine of evil to being a useful tool for country living.

I love it when people don't fit categories. For a few years I was on a strict vegan diet, due to doctor's orders. Since it was the first treatment that really helped me at the time I stuck with it. When people heard I was a vegetarian, and a vegan at that, they made a lot of other assumptions about me. Most of those were wrong. The fact that I still went hunting really freaked them out. The rest of my family still ate meat.

One funny thing I noticed around here was that a lot of hippy dippy artistic women marry redneck men. They women love to live out in the beautiful countryside. That's great, but country living has its challenges. A guy who can keep a wood stove fired up in -40 weather and pull a car out of a ditch with a tractor starts to look attractive. So they fall in love and marry.

Then, as nature takes its course, they have children. These little kids are pretty interesting people. I bet they are not going to be easily classified when they grow up. In the end we are all just folk.

-Sixbears

8 comments:

  1. I've always believed that you can't live in the real world and be a liberal. Life tends to make you a conservative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully life teaches us a few lessons and we learn from them.

      Delete
  2. A vegan hunter - that is rather peculiar. Tells the world "I don't need the meat - I just HATE animals!" :^)

    I'm not too surprised at your observations - I also notice that groups of people who appreciate the outdoors do tend to 'hook up' in the end, even if their focus are on two different topics. A young lady I know (city gal) loves raptors, while her boyfriend is 'from the sticks'. He takes her out to locations to find birds of prey and she teaches him about their habit. An odd combination - but it works for them.

    I agree with Mr. Smythe above - you may begin life as a liberal, but experience in life often changes you to a conservative, especially if you live in the rural environment. I really think a lot of liberal people are 'me too', afraid to admit to others that they don't agree with them very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think sometimes liberal and conservative are meaningless labels meant to lead people into doing things without really thinking about it.

      Delete
  3. What's the old saying? Something to the effect that liberals are one mugging away from being NRA members.

    I have found that city people who move here tend to one to transform our area into a replica of Saint Petersburg, or Tampa, or where ever they moved from. Those are folks I could do without.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't get big influxes of city people in one batch so they don't take over. They have to adapt to us, not the other way around.

      Delete
  4. The other old saying goes something like if you're not a liberal when you're young, you have no heart, and if you're still one when you're middle-aged, you have no brain.... (I've heard several variations on that.)

    ReplyDelete