StatCounter

Friday, May 1, 2015

Plans for next winter?



Spring has just barely taken hold here in the North Country and I'm already thinking about winter.

This past winter my lovely wife and I thought we'd do something different. We planned a lot more camping and less boating. We also decided to head west to Texas to visit her relatives. Next year will be something different again. Not sure how different, but different.

We had some mechanical problems with the converted ambulance camper van, but in the end we sorted them out. It's pretty comfortable. Often when we had the opportunity to stay in relative's spare bedrooms but we preferred sleeping in the van.

The van is a fine camping machine. However, I sometimes miss throwing a tent in the car and just going. There is much to be said for simplicity.

There were times when we really missed living on a sailboat, so that's a major consideration.

Whatever we decided to do, it will probably not cost us a lot of money. Imagine if we'd spent a pile of cash on a big RV. We'd feel pretty committed to the whole RV lifestyle. How about those people who buy a condo and now every vacation is at that condo? Wouldn't that get boring?

I've found that this is the best time to plan my winter. Our most recent travels are fresh in our minds and we know what worked well and what needs improvement. Since we often do things a bit different year to year time to prepare is a good thing.

However, since the ice has just cleared the lake, my next plan is a fishing license. Can't let plans for tomorrow ruin today.

-Sixbears

12 comments:

  1. The last two sentences show much wisdom. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just bought my license on-line so I'm ready to go.

      Delete
  2. Although spontaneity is sometimes good, planning ahead is more reliable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I'm looking for a balance between the two.

      Delete
  3. Ahhhh, fishing.......! Hubby and I have finally reached the age where we don't have to pay a license fee just to throw a line in the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice. Fishing, Hunting, and Bow license cost me $86.

      Delete
  4. Plans need to be flexible. I have planed on going west this july on a national park tour in a teardrop. Now I find every where I plan to visit is going to be close to JADE HELM .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although our camp when I was a kid was stationary, I never tired of going there. Maybe those who bought a condo, feel the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, camps are great. Takes a long time for those to get old.

      Delete
  6. I'm leaning towards a good truck with a decent camper , nothing that wouldn't be able to go off road, and a modest houseboat. I think I'd enjoy either of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like fun to me. Might as well go with both.

      Delete