StatCounter

Thursday, January 15, 2015

River Pirate


Last year my lovely wife wanted to explore some of Florida's lakes and small rivers near my dad's place. We even went to the trouble of checking out some boat launches. It didn't take too much effort to see that those waters were not meant for our Oday 19 sailboat. Even with the keel raised, shallows and weeds would be a problem. Power lines and low fixed bridges were also of concern.

However, our little Ooze Goose scow should be perfect. Powered by oars and paddles we should be able to explore some interesting places.

When we left New Hampshire there was some ice in the cockpit and lazerette. It's much easier to drive south until the ice melts then pump it out with a manual bilge pump than to chip out the ice.

I should check the wheel bearings on the trailer. Actually, I probably should have jacked up the trailer and checked them hundreds of miles ago, but it was too darn cold. The trailer could also use a new set of submersible lights.

However, the main drawback right now is that I'm still trying to recover from my nasty cold. The warm weather and moist air has helped, but it'll be a few days before I'm feeling 100%.

Hope to feel better soon so I can play river pirate.

-Sixbears

14 comments:

  1. Here is a southern cold remedy . Cheeseburger medium well, homemade fries and cold beer. Repeat as needed !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's this little burger place along the river. . .

      Delete
  2. raise the colours beggars and thieves!

    Wildflower

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure your energy for rowing will increase as the cold goes away, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wondering if maybe rowing will help the cold go away. Really want to get out there soon.

      Delete
  4. Warm sunshine and fresh orange juice. Honeybells are in right now and they are super delicious! Happy discovering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If cold weather gives you a cold, then why do we who live down south get colds? I am recovering from a coughing cold right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't give a person colds, but for someone with my lung condition it makes them a whole lot worse.

      Delete
  6. I hope a 20 foot python doesn't slither aboard in the dead of night!

    ReplyDelete