StatCounter

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

High winds



Yesterday's high winds and subzero cold took down the grid and Internet. Trees don't sway much when frozen solid. They snap and take down power and communication lines. My lovely wife and I huddled by the woodstove and played cards. Fortunately there was enough power in my solar electric system to keep the lights on.

This morning was a mixed blessing. The grid and Internet were back, but my water was frozen. I've been avoiding using the big woodstove in my basement as it's a fuel hog. However, it's time to feed the beast and thaw the water.

Right now there are two woodstoves going and an electric heater warming my feet. After putting the trash out I've kept my winter jacket on as it's still pretty cold in the house.

We are making progress towards heading south. Yesterday I was able to register my van and the utility trailer my new little boat is on. Registering the trailer took some doing. It hadn't been on the road since 2006 and the registration was no where to be found. Even with the plate and VIN numbers, it didn't show up in the system. Then the town clerk had the bright idea to check if it had been registered in my wife's name. Sure enough. We used to pull the trailer behind the car that was registered in my wife's name, so we probably just registered the trailer at the same time.

The garage was unable to schedule a state inspection and oil change until Thursday morning, so that''s when we'll head out -unless something else unexpected happens.

-Sixbears

14 comments:

  1. Always something standing in the way, right? Glad to hear that you are getting closer to being on the road again! I figure you are looking forward to some Florida weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've a massive cold front moving in. Don't know if the diesel will even run at those temps. Diesel quality has been poor lately. Just changed another fuel filter on the side of the road.

      Delete
  2. It's not that cold in VA yet but Thursday is the low day. People wonder why I have 3 wood stoves, I guess they haven't ever been cold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I remember correctly you drain the waterlines in the house before you leave. So firing up the beast has to be done anyway. Enjoy the added warmth and as soon as possible hit the door and escape to Texas. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky find some more fuel blocks, so I can feed the beast all it needs.

      Delete
  4. Maybe you inherited our winds from a day or two ago. Luckily, our juice didn't go off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were lucky indeed, if you wind was anything like ours.

      Delete
  5. We are expecting those same wind gusts here starting tomorrow, as well as single digit temperatures. I have little hope that our antiquated grid will hold up for long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you make out Okay. I'm bracing for -20 cold tomorrow.

      Delete
  6. masybe you be better off at hibernating til spring

    Wildflower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I could just sleep it off like the rest of the bears.

      Delete
  7. I've been thankful for the wood stove in my basement. Hope you can get on your way soon. Warmer weather would be nice here in GA. Right now it's pretty cold. Happy trails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If all goes well we are one the road heading south Thursday. At the very least, I've got to shut down the house.

      Delete