StatCounter

Friday, December 12, 2014

Escaping the Beast



I just love shoveling snow in the rain. Our foot of snow has been followed by two days of freezing rain. Shoveling heavy slush is so much fun that I've been pacing myself so as not to use it all up in one day. With the extra time inside I've been dealing with the beast of modern life: paperwork. There are so many stupid forms that have to be dealt with in modern life.

The strange thing is that I've been doing my best to simplify my life. In spite of that, it seems that every single time one thing is simplified, some other development moves in to take its place. I can't imagine how out of control it would all become if left on its own.

It's been said that dying empires become more rigid and regulated in their last days. What can one do in the face of such powerful historical forces? The less one depends on the system the fewer strings one finds attached. When the great beast gasps its last and good down good it's a fine thing if those strings are too weak to pull you down too.

When I was a kid I thought it'd be easy to go live in a cabin in the woods. As an adult, I fine it sure beats the heck out of city life, but nothing is free. At the very minimum the tax man has to get his pound of flesh. That alone requires a certain amount of engagement with the system. That requires the occasional day of check writing, phone call making, and electronic form filling.

Almost makes me miss shoveling slush in the rain.

-Sixbears

4 comments:

  1. in your next life, stay a nomadic gypsy!

    Wildflower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea! Hope to get some practice at that in this one though.

      Delete
  2. You can't own ANYTHING and avoid taxes.

    ReplyDelete