StatCounter

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Dashing through the snow



Saturday we got hit with another snowstorm. It started late Friday night and went well into Saturday evening. Temperatures were such that the snow was mixed with freezing rain. Not the best driving conditions.

In spite of that, my buddy and I hooked up his 16 foot trailer to the veggie van and drove over to VT. There's a furniture mill that sells its hardwood scraps from 7 to 8:30 a. m., Saturday's only. I'd been trying to get out there for weeks, but always something came up.

This Saturday it was snow. I decided that if I could make it up the mountain road my friend lived on, we could probably make the drive from NH to VT.

It was slow going, but we got over there without too much trouble. We found the place and the guy loaded up our trailer with his tractor bucket. It was quite the load and I'm glad the van has new brakes. On the way back we stopped for breakfast and almost got stuck in the restaurant parking lot. With fresh snow on top of ice it's impossible to know exactly where to go.

Fortunately, we made it to the highway. We didn't get stuck again until I stopped on the nearly level ground in front of my house. My road had yet to be plowed and there was about an inch of ice under the snow. After sanding the road we were able to move the van the 40 extra feet we needed. Once it was unloaded, then the plow/sand truck finally came by. I let him pass us and followed him around the lake back to the highway. By the time I got back from dropping off my buddy and his trailer, I was pretty beat.

At least I now get to enjoy the warmth from all that kiln dried hardwood.

-Sixbears

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. with temperatures down around -11, I'm sure glad to have all the wood.

      Delete
  2. another adventure by true madmen gone well!

    wanna try a full blown hurricane next?

    Wildflower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why not? Already been chased by tornadoes, but that's a tale for another day.

      Delete