StatCounter

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Let's play dress up



There's a lot of people dressing up as something they are not: Cosplay, medieval reenactors, zombie walkers, pirates, Civil War buffs -that's just a sampling. Then there's a Halloween. It was once a kids' holiday, but now it's an excuse for adults to dress up and party.

Ever wonder why it's so popular? Could at least of the reason be dissatisfaction with regular life? The most satisfied man in the world, when told to dress up as his favorite fantasy character would not have to change his wardrobe. Too few of us are living our fantasies.

A lot of little kids want to grow up to be Fireman. As someone who really did grow up to be one, let me tell you something. It's awesome. Now I wasn't all that turned on by the station uniform, but the turnout gear, the stuff worn to actually fight fires, is pretty cool. It's like getting dressed up in armor for combat with the red dragon. There's the adrenaline rush of life and death situations. Maybe it's a bit like the thrill of combat, but instead of trying to kill people, you get to save them. To top it all off, there are woman who think Firefighters are hot. It's good to live a fantasy job.

Now that I'm retired I don't dress up like that anymore. However, I am retired so I can dress up any darn way I want. Mostly, however, my garb is pretty mundane. Shorts, T-shirt, sandals, and a big hat to keep my balding head from catching fire in the sun. I don't have to impress anyone. My clothes are practical for my day to day life.

At least I don't have to wear the uniform of suit and tie that so many people have to put on. Many are so used to the uniform that they think it's normal. Some even like it. I think a tie is a kind of leash for a domesticated pet, but that's just me.

Now all I have to do is find a practical reason for getting a nifty pair of pirate boots. Those are pretty cool. They've got those rolled down cuffs that look so great. They can be rolled up to cover most of the leg. Maybe I can get a really well made pair, with some grip on the soles, and with soft waterproof leathers that can easily be rolled up. It would be perfect for landing on a muddy beach in a small boat. Yep, now I want a pair. Besides, they would go with my tricorner hat.

So if you ever down the waterfront and meet some weird guy in shorts, T-shirt and pirate boots, it'll probably be me, just living out my fantasy life.

-Sixbears

10 comments:

  1. Pictures, Sixbears. We wanna see pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First I've got to get the boots, then the photos will come.

      Delete
    2. Even I would get a kick out of THAT picture!

      Delete
  2. Man, I'd really think on those pirate boots. Down here, we sometimes wear snakebite boots (go right up to under the knee) and man, are they hot! I'm wondering if those 'peg legged' pirates got that way by cutting off their leg on purpose to avoid the boots :^)

    I'm very lucky mine (Chippewwa) have zippers on the back that allow me to open them when I 'm just lounging back at camp, they sort of resemble 'pirate boots' then.

    Agree with the costume comments, the lucky man indeed who can dress casual to his job. I would hate to have to wear a tie every day, I consider them nooses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heat is an issue. Maybe I'll just wear them for landings during hot weather.

      Delete
  3. As I get older all I can think of wearing is comfy shoes and comfy clothes I don't really care what anyone thinks whatsoever! I try to be presentable but clothes are ridiculously priced and they certainly don't last long anymore..My hubs lives in jeans from jc penneys I buy and polo shirts from JC penneys I buy he loves them..He wears New Balance shoes special order for a foot he got injured in the army way back over 47 years ago, they are not cheap and mostly come in black..wow whee, I watch for the big sales once a year and buy 2 & get them for little money..I think it is fashionalbe to wear what one likes, you should be happy they have a holiday called talk like a pirate you would be right at home on that day AARH ME MATY..I so appreciate your stating you love to sail and be on the water..Water speaks to my soul and I read an article from some esteemed professor he wrote a book on how WATER is great for one's mental health..right on brother..ciao!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement. Only other water people really get water people.

      Comfy is the way to go. Life is too short for uncomfortable shoes.

      Delete
  4. Go for the boots, SixBears - I agree with Chickenmom. The ladies will be a-swoonin', and you'll feel so authentic on your little new boat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A tie? What's a tie? I haven't worn a tie for.. for.. dang, I can't remember, it has been so long. I don't even own a tie, except for a couple of western style string ties

    ReplyDelete