StatCounter

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Unscheduled repairs



We pulled into the state park in St. Augustine Florida. While parking the sailboat, the brake light came on in the van. Sure enough, the brake fluid was low. I topped it off, but after a few shot trips it was low again. There are no visible leaks, so I'm a bit puzzled. Of course, I'm only a shady tree mechanic.

In the morning it goes into the garage and real mechanics can take a look at it. Hope they can fix it the same day. If they can't, it'll get complicated. We've been sleeping in the van and my guess is that hotels are pretty booked up this time of year. However, I'm not going to borrow trouble. I'll take things as they come.

On the bright side, we did connect with my wife's sister. We haven't seen her in two years It's tough when families are scattered all over the place.

My lovely wife made a contact nearby who might be able to spare about 50 gallons of waste vegetable oil for $1 - $1.50/gallon. Diesel is around $4 so that's a considerable savings.

The van problem is a hassle, but not one we can't handle. The miles take their toll.

-Sixbears

12 comments:

  1. good brakes always garrentee a safe trip

    loose connectors by road vibration can be one culprit

    happy trails

    Wildflower

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you sleep on the boat when it's on the trailer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was good the problem showed up when you got off the highways and pulled into that state park.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it is losing fluid and you can't find any leaks I bet the brake master cylinder is puking out the back and dumping the fluid into the brake booster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my guess exactly Phil...
      Not a cheap fixer either !

      Delete
    2. Especially if it's destoyed the booster...

      Delete
    3. Brake line and a booster guys. You both called it.

      Delete
  5. What is the best old van to get with diesel that can be converted to vegioil?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the 7.3 turbos in fords, both old style and Powerstroke, but that's just me.

      Delete