StatCounter

Monday, August 19, 2013

Pedigree Problems



I'm a big believer in mutts. All dogs have been mutts, and they've been great animals. Problems arise when animals are bred to fit some artificial ideal of pedigree. This BBC documentary reveals the horrible things that have been to dogs breeding for show. If you are dog lover this will break your heart.

The quest for “better,” can cause all kind of problems, especially when those rules are artificial. It goes way beyond the dog world.

Rules on what a proper car must have limits opportunities for innovation. We don't see very many dramatic departures in automobile design. Sometimes engineers will design a radical concept car, but they never go into production. Racing has had a big impact on car design, but should that be the departure point for building a family utility vehicle where speed and handling are not the main concerns? I know I don't have a pit crew to put my car together every ten minutes.

Sailboat racing is the worse. It's my opinion that racing rules have set back sailboat design 100 years. They lock in hull and rig designs so as to be competitive within a class. Weird and unsafe “innovations” are employed to bend the rules. None of that has any value to a sailor who wants a good solid easy to sail boat. They can be hard to find as designers are influenced by the race boats. People see them out racing and think they need something like that. It's a vicious circle.

Maybe sailboats aren't the worse. How about the pedigree of royalty and the elite? That's a pretty inbred bunch with a lot of arbitrary rules and requirements. They are worse than show dogs, with their hemophilia and insanity. At least those poor show dogs aren't in a position to ruin the lives of millions of us regular mutts.

-Sixbears


10 comments:

  1. My current dog is purebred, as was the one before, but all my others were mutts or crosses. Mutts are usually healthier. As for royalty, my wife once asked me what allowed them to be in their position. I told her that they simply managed to murder more of their relatives and competitors than most folks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm the "Mutt" kind of guy myself. Always had good luck with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mutts, both dog and human, have always treated me right. Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  3. The 'purebreds' rule in every facet of life if we let them. They live a life of always looking over their shoulder, waiting for someone to take it all away. Us lucky ones just live our lives and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you and I are having fun anyway.

      Not only do the bloodlines get inbred, the thinking becomes inbred.

      Delete
  4. I am a mutt based on my genealogy research. Also related to royalty but my relatives left Europe and never talked about royalty, they seemed to have come here to get away from it. We are starting to treat our food supply like royalty and it is hard to find open pollinated "mutt" seed since the number of seed companies is decreasing. What happens when seed genetics are limited, you get a potato famine type of thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame when decades of genetic science gets ignored. We know better.

      Delete
  5. When it comes to boat races I like the anything that floats classes. They are the most innovated things around.

    ReplyDelete