StatCounter

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Now I’m Suspicious



According to this article in Forbes I’m not a suspicious person because I don’t use Facebook or other social media. I must have something to hide, right?

There’s a couple of things about that attitude that really disturbs me. The first one is that if someone wants privacy, he must be doing something wrong. We’ve become such a surveillance state that holding anything private is a questionable activity.

Just as disturbing to me is the assumption that a person has to do what most other people are doing. Conformity has an ugly history. Nazis were big on conformity. Conformity = normal = good. Nonconformity wasn’t consider just bad but a threat that had to be stomped out. Nazis stomped very well.

I don’t have a problem with other people using Facebook. It’s how a lot of people communicate and stay in touch. However, as for me, I just don’t feel the need. AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. Sorry to shout.

Being a private detective must be the easiest job in the world now. Just get connected a suspect on Facebook and learn everything you need to know.

Yep, must have something to hide. Suspicious. On the other hand, if you film cops they get all upset. They expect to be hidden from public view. It’s like they have a secret. Secret Police. Now where have I heard that term before?

Governments and government agents are getting more and more secret all the time, just when citizen privacy has come under suspicion. Shouldn’t we be a lot more suspicious about what government is doing?

It’s been argued that “Black Budgets” and secret operations are needed. How else could we fight secret wars around the planet? In my book, that’s a good solid argument for open government. A republic or a democracy needs its citizens to be informed. Too bad for government types that it limits their actions.

I keep getting this mental image of a light going on in a dark room and cockroaches scattering.

Since not being on Facebook is suspicious, perhaps all government operations need to be up there for everyone to see. While we are at we should put the inner workings of Facebook on Facebook.

-Sixbears



16 comments:

  1. You are probaly safe as you are of a proper age not to be engaged in Failbook and allowed to know real people and interact with them face to face without a software interface.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm currently on Facebook, only because some folks practically begged me not to drop it. That left me flattered, but slightly frustrated. By-and-large, Facebook is just a place for people to talk that have nothing to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the shortest and best description of it I've ever seen. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Not on face book and never intend to be. E-mail and the blogs keep me busy and open to all you bloggers out there. I'm not a very secretive guy, but don't come a snooping around on my property uninvited. In the internet area, I can find out a lot about people, the cost of their home, their neighbors, a street view of most places, or a satellite view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one thing when the find you in Cyber space. It's another thing when then come on your land.

      Delete
  4. I deleted my Facebook twice. My wifes kid kept thinking it was funny to put Sarah Palin's picture up as mine and I got tired of messing with it. I have an account now but it is bare bones and only for getting announcements from friends and family. I don't post anything,I mean nothing, to that train wreck.

    BTW, I finally got off my brain dead ass and put you on my Blogroll at Ornery Bastard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've really never understood the phobia toward Face Book. If you don't want it known, then do not post it. Simple as that.
    To me it is just a simple way to communicate with friends and family.
    If you are doing anything that you don't want others to know about. Then any electronic media is not safe. Of course then too, as they say the jails are full up with stupid people lol.
    Seems to be a whole lot a paranoia in our old world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, it would be a huge time sink that I wish to avoid. That's as valid a reason not to be on it as any.

      Delete
  6. They seem to be using Orwell's "1984" as a template these days. It's frightening just how close we are to that work of fiction. Or was it a warning...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn sad when warnings seem to be instructional books.

      Delete
  7. I don't twitter or facebook. I'm not conventionally religious. I mouth off to idiots who call me on my cellphone to try selling me crap I don't want.

    So, hey, if that makes me suspicious? They can bite me...and I do bite back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you are another "bad" character. You are in good company.

      Delete
  8. You've been suspicious for a long time.

    ReplyDelete