StatCounter

Thursday, September 8, 2011

The miles between us

I got a call Wednesday night from my dad. Hi girlfriend just passed a way. She’d had a knee operation. While trying to recover from that, she got pneumonia and never recovered from it. There’s not much I can do about that. However, I’m trying to see if there’s something I can do for my dad.

The problem is that he’s in Florida and I’m way up north in New Hampshire. 1600 mile separate us. It’s time like this when I wish we lived a lot closer. Phone conversations can only do so much. Dad and his girlfriend were supposed to come up to New Hampshire and stay with us this past August. However, she that operation so the visit was delayed.

I hope my dad will fly up for a visit. Being around family and old friends might do him some good. Baring that, maybe I’ll have to make a quick run down to Florida. It all depends on what dad wants to do, of course.

My wife’s parents are over 2000 miles away in Texas. Will all the fires there, we’ve been worried about their welfare. The closest fire was 15 miles away, but the Forest Service was able to extinguish it. We haven’t seen them in about 11 months. They are getting on in age, but seem to be doing well enough. At least my sister-in-law lives only 75 miles away from them.

I’m glad my kids and grandkids are pretty close. Family is important to us. When there are problems, we wish we could all be closer.

In todays troubled world, sometimes all you have is family. Many don’t even have that, so I’m counting my blessings.

-Sixbears

4 comments:

  1. Damn,sorry to hear about your Dad's girlfriend!Family is all you have in the end.

    China
    III

    ReplyDelete
  2. My condolences to your Dad, losing someone close really hurts.

    ReplyDelete