StatCounter

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Crapwood season

It's the season for burning crapwood. During the colder heating months, I burn seasoned ash, oak, maple, beech, yellow birch -good solid hardwoods.

This time of year it's cool enough to run the stove, but it doesn't have to work very hard. This is when I'll burn some softwood, white birch, aspen, and any wood that's a bit punky or half rotted. Wood like that doesn't put out the BTUs of good wood, but those BTUs aren't needed yet.

The big downside of burning crapwood, especially with the woodstove's damper turned way down, is the chance of creosote buildup. The chimney has to be watched closely, and cleaned as needed. It'd be embarrassing if a retired Firefighter like me had a chimney fire.

Some people are real firewood snobs. They'll burn nothing but the best. Seems like a waste to me. I hate to let any sort of firewood go to waste. It's just a matter of knowing when and how to use it.

-Sixbears

3 comments:

  1. Sixbears,we used to do the same thing! As you point out safety and knowledge are key.

    The post below has been on my mind for the last several years.I intend to bail out and head for the woods.But once I get there some things still are gonna cost ya.Not yet at retirement age,trying to figure out how to make money once in a while to live like I want.Insightful post Thanks!

    China
    III

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi China: Safety is the key. That's why I have my own chimney brushes and heavy duty ladders.

    About the other post. I don't want to discourage anyone, but you've got to go in with your eyes open.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh, I burn cottonwood, pine, or anything even remotely flammable in my fireplace. Even pallets! Granted, I don't have to use it much down here, but I've kept the chimney clean and had no problems.

    ReplyDelete